£Make a Payment

Central Leeds Oxford House, Oxford Row, Leeds, LS1 3BE    0113 2432288    info@henryhyams.com

£Make a Payment

Home / Blog / Uncategorised / An insight to the Marriage Visitor Visa – Asif Hanif (Henry Hyams Solicitors)


An insight to the Marriage Visitor Visa – Asif Hanif (Henry Hyams Solicitors)

The information provided in this blog does not constitute legal advice. For legal advice please contact our expert immigration team who will assist you with any queries you may have. We are highly experienced with all immigration matters. Please visit Review Solicitors and see for yourself how our immigration team, Asif Hanif and Katie Vine have been highly rated by existing Clients of the Firm.

If you find yourself reading this article then you are most likely to be an immigration enthusiast or simply someone who looks forward to reading my monthly blogs as it is a great means to get an insight to the different visa routes available within the UK immigration system.

On that note, I assume you have also read my article posted on our April 2021 blog regarding the fiancé visa route? If not, then head over to the immigration article as there seems to be a general confusion amongst people between the key differences in the fiancé route and the marriage visitor route.

This month I will be discussing the marriage visitor visa route (if you haven’t already guessed from the title!), which in my opinion is not understood correctly by general members of the public.

What is the Marriage Visitor Visa?

If you are over the age of 18 and simply wish to “visit” the UK to marry, form a civil partnership or you intend to give notice at the local registry office for the same, then this visa category is for you.

As a standard visitor in the UK, you are not allowed to do any of the above. However, the marriage visitor visa permits these activities.

A visa is granted for six months under this category and you will have to leave the UK before your visa expires.

Once you have married, formed a civil partnership or given notice to the local registrar (as the case may be), you will then have to return to your home country. Unlike the fiancé route, you are not allowed to apply to settle in the UK whilst in the UK under this visa category.

How do I give notice at my local registry office?

You and your partner must sign a statement at your local registry office confirming that you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. The requirement is for you to have lived in the registration district for at least seven days before you give this notice.
The notice period is twenty-eight days, therefore you must wait at least twenty-nine days before the ceremony can take place. During this waiting period, there is no need to remain in the UK and you can travel abroad during the notice period.

What are the requirements for this visa?

You need to satisfy the following requirements to be eligible to apply under this route:
• You are 18 or over
• You are free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
• You are in a genuine relationship
• You are visiting the UK for less than 6 months
• You will leave the UK at the end of your visit
• You will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home
• You are able to support yourself during your trip
• You are able to pay for your return or onward journey

When preparing your application, your legal team will assess your circumstances and advise you on how to satisfy the above requirements, failing to do so will result in your application being refused.

What supporting documents do I need to apply for this visa?

This is actually case-specific and your immigration solicitor should advise you on this after taking detailed instructions from you.

Generally in practice we can see that the following documents are submitted with such applications:

• Current passport or valid travel document
• Proof that you can support yourself during the trip, such as bank statements and payslips
• Details of your travel arrangements, such as where you will stay and for how long
• Evidence that your relationship is genuine and of the plans you have for your marriage/civil partnership

This is not a comprehensive list and your immigration solicitor should advise you on specific evidence that needs to be submitted with your application to ensure your application is successful.

Is there a fee payable for this application?

As I always say, “nothing in this world is for free”, (admit it… you just knew I was going to say this).

The entry clearance fee for this application at present is £95.00.

Marriage visitor visa or fiancé visa?

“Well…it depends…”

It all depends on your intention. If you intend to marry or form a civil partnership in the UK and settle here permanently then the fiancé route is suitable for you.

On the other hand if the UK is just a destination wedding and an opportunity to share your special day with family and friends, having no intention to settle here straight after then the marriage visitor visa is probably the most suitable route for you.

Make sure you discuss your plans with your legal team and discuss your future intention for migration with them as well so that your solicitor can advise you on the most suitable visa category.

Here at Henry Hyams, we offer a competitive fee to assist you in not only drafting the application form but also drafting legal submissions in support, submitting the application and uploading the application and supporting documents on the relevant VFS/TLS Portal, in readiness for the biometric enrolment appointment.

At Henry Hyams, we believe marriage and civil partnership is a fundamental right and of vital importance to everyone, therefore we ensure our experienced legal team assists you all the way with your application until a final decision has been reached by the Entry Clearance Officer.

We have assisted a number of clients over the years with such applications and have a 100% success rate.

Why should I instruct Henry Hyams Solicitors?

At Henry Hyams Solicitors we have a specialist immigration team that has over 30 years of combined experience in assisting our clients with their immigration matters, and we have a very high success rate. Our client reviews reflect our work ethos. In respect of our legal fee, we offer a competitive fixed fee service, so there are no nasty surprises at the end.

If you would like to discuss your immigration application then please contact our immigration team. Henry Hyams has a highly experienced immigration team to guide you at every stage of your application. Henry Hyams Solicitors have been providing legal advice for over 80 years. We have experienced solicitors who have been providing immigration advice, assistance to clients nationally and internationally for many years.

Asif Hanif
Immigration Solicitor at Henry Hyams Solicitors, Oxford House, Oxford Row, Leeds, LS1 3BE

Meet The Team

Meet the Team

We want you to feel confident in the legal advisor that deals with your case.

View Profiles +

Make an Enquiry