£Make a Payment

Central Leeds Oxford House, Oxford Row, Leeds, LS1 3BE    0113 2432288    info@henryhyams.com

£Make a Payment

Home / Legal Services / Housing / Housing Disrepair

Housing Disrepair

Unfortunately Henry Hyams is not able to take on any new Housing Law cases. If you are a tenant in residential accommodation in the Leeds area and require legally aided housing advice, please try Gallagher & Co on 0113 467 5000.

Your landlord is required by law to keep your property in a state of good repair. This covers a great deal of things. It could be that you have mould that keeps returning no matter how it is treated; you may have a leak from your roof into your bathroom; a heating system that does not work properly or provides you with no hot water. Issues like this can start off seeming relatively minor, but their constant presence in your life and a failure to properly address your concern by your landlord mean that they soon become central to your daily living situation.

If you have a problem with repairs in your property you must first report them to your landlord. They are then allowed a reasonable period of time to put the problem right. If you feel that a reasonable period of time has passed and no work has been undertaken, or perhaps it has been undertaken but the problem has returned, it is likely that our housing team can help. We can raise the problem with your landlord in the most effective and efficient way. If it seems to us that our involvement is not necessary, we will advise you as to the best way forward. Alternatively, it may be that there are grounds for making an application to court to require your landlord to undertake specific work together with a claim for damages for the period of time that you have had to live with the disrepair. We have expertise in dealing with these cases.

Meet The Team

Meet the Team

We want you to feel confident in the legal advisor that deals with your case.

View Profiles +

Make an Enquiry